EU nationals do not have to obtain a visa before they enter Italy. However, if intending to stay for longer than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) from the police and sometimes an employment book (libretto di lavoro) from the local town hall (municipio). Before this time, you must apply to the police for a ricevuta de segnalazione di soggiorno, which authorises your three-month stay whilst looking for work.

Teaching English

There are many language schools around Italy, mostly in city areas such as Milan, Rome, and Naples. The best way to find jobs is to go in person to the schools. Without a qualification such as the CELTA or CertTESOL, however, you are likely not to be noticed. If you are serious about wanting to pursue a job abroad then check the TEFL website listed below for details of qualifying before travelling. If you would like to qualify in Italy, there are institutions around which can accommodate you as well, so look around.

Au Pairing

Childcare International Ltd and Home from Home are just two organisations that organise placements for those wanting to work as au pairs in Italy. Host families in Italy will provide accommodation, meals, and personal expenses such as travel. As an au pair you will be expected to work five days a week, taking care of the children, as well as general domestic duties.

As in a lot of other countries, au pairs are required to attend a language or vocational course locally and will be given time to do so. However, although your job will be in the form of an au pair, you are more likely to be hired as a ‘nanny’ or ‘domestic help’ because the UK is not part of the European agreement of au pair placements and Italian au pairs are required to have a permit specifically for au pair employments.

This permit can only be received after the Provincial Labour Office has approved. As a result, many families choose to by-pass such laws and most often instead regard their employees as nannies. Whatever your job title, duties will be similar across most vacancies, and you can expect to be paid between �208 and �312 (approx. �146 to �219) per month.


Eurocamp and Canvas Holidays operate on campsites throughout Europe, including Italy. Most jobs with these companies and other similar organisations do not differ greatly. Eurocamp employs couriers, administrators and children’s helpers during the peak tourist summer months. Workers can expect to receive about �95 per week. It is advantageous, both for your job application and job satisfaction, to know a European language, at least on a conversational level, as jobs will usually involve interaction with customers from far and wide.

Holiday Resorts

Summer or winter, holiday resorts in Italy offer a good chance of finding some casual work for the willing traveller. Coastal resorts and well-known tourist areas and cities are a good place to start looking for casual work during the summer months. Types of jobs include waitressing, bar work, and DJing, and wages depend on the type of job and the employer. However, bear in mind that working in the tourist trade can be demanding because you will be expected to deal with customers of all nationalities at the peak time of the tourist season.

Check the Club Mediterran�e website for details of jobs in their holiday village in Milan which range from dancers to lighting technicians. As with work for campsite operators, specific jobs in holiday villages may require you to have knowledge of a foreign language and good interpersonal skills will also work to your advantage.

As well as having a busy summer tourist industry, winter in Italy means peak season for the many ski resorts around the Alps, Dolomites, and Apennines. PGL Ski Holidays and Crystal Holidays are good places to consult for opportunities of employment in ski resorts. As with summer holiday resorts, the type of jobs in ski resorts are numerous and it is best to get there early in the tourist season to secure yourself work. Mark Warner is a recruitment agency that can locate you with seasonal jobs, both summer and winter, similar to those already mentioned, including work in the Alps, their contact details are listed below.


A whole host of volunteer jobs can be found and applied for with EIL, whether it is community, environmental, or conservation work you are interested in. Their European Voluntary Service (EVS) can place you on a six to twelve month project in Italy as well as other European countries. Accommodation is provided by EIL as well as food, training, travel expenses, and pocket money.