EU nationals may enter and stay in Germany for up to 90 days without needing a Visa. If you intend to stay for longer than three months you will need to apply for a residence permit (aufenthaltsgenehmigung) for which you will require proof of having found somewhere to live. Within seven days of arriving in Germany you should obtain a certificate of registration (anmeldebest�tigung). Furthermore, if you aim to work in a restaurant, bar, caf� etc. it is advisable to obtain a health certificate (gesundheitszeugnis).

Au Pairing

Au pairs in Germany work for about 25 hours a week and can expect to earn at least �210 (approx. �148) per month. Usual au pair duties include looking after children, taking them to and from school, as well as general household work such as cleaning. Au pairs are also usually expected to take part in a course, at a university for example, for a few hours a week. Au Pair International and Au Pair Network International are two agencies that can place EU nationals in au pair positions in Germany, but for a more extensive range of companies, see the Europa Pages website.

Teaching English

In most foreign-speaking countries you will find some openings for positions teaching English. The best places to look are probably language institutions, but there is no guarantee of work as jobs are usually very highly sought after. If you are serious about becoming an English teacher in another country it is worth training with TEFL to receive a qualification that will put you in better standing than those without.

Hotels and restaurants

Asking around and writing to various hotel companies listed in guidebooks may help you to find some temporary work, particularly during the summer months when tourism is high and demanding. Types of jobs in hotels include porters, kitchen staff, waiters and waitresses, and cleaning staff. A lot of hotels also provide employees with food and accommodation, but charges may be deducted from your monthly wage, which could average about �568 (approx. �400) a month.

As with hotel jobs, work in restaurants and pubs can most easily be found by enquiring in person and it is best to turn up early in the tourist season as vacancies may be quickly filled. Given that there are hotels, pubs etc. all throughout Germany there are no specific places that you should look first, but the busiest tourist areas are obviously cities such as Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, and Hamburg.

Agricultural Work

German harvests offer less employment opportunities than in a lot of other European countries, but nevertheless if you are interested in this type of work it is worth checking farms and asking landowners in Altland, or along the French border, where apples, cherries, and grapes are grown. WWOOF is a voluntary organisation placing volunteers on organic farms throughout the world. Workers are provided with board and accommodation and must pay an annual membership of �10 to WWOOF, see their website for more details.

Working Holidays in Germany recruit volunteers for three to six months, usually attracting gap year students. Volunteers work in family hotels or family farms, and duties can include looking after animals and children, and tasks such as cooking. Since you will be working alongside other people, knowledge of German is useful and no doubt this type of work could improve such linguistic skills. Application details can be found on the Working Holidays website, see below.


As well as volunteer opportunities available on agricultural projects, a number of organisations arrange social work projects, such as Concordia whose volunteers work in groups with children and communities in a number of countries throughout the world. Projects last for up to three weeks, in the summer months. All volunteers are supplied with food and accommodation and are required to pay a fee of �75 to register with Concordia. The International Voluntary Service sets up workcamps for volunteers who participate in community schemes, including working with children, adults with special needs, and conservational issues. Again, food and accommodation are part of the package, but you will need to pay �15 membership and fund your own travel.

Useful Links

Europa Pages lists au pair agencies for Germany.

TEFL gives jobs teaching english abroad. gives information of voluntary work available on organic farms.

Working Holidays has information on all kinds of working holidays in Germany.

Concordia is one of the voluntary organisations in Europe.

Sci-ivs provides information about the International Voluntary Service.