As with most other European countries, EU nationals may enter and stay in Denmark for up to three months without needing any sort of Visa. For longer than three months you will need a residence permit (opholdsbevis). To obtain this permit you should show proof of employment where you are working for more than 20 hours per week, or evidence of financial support. A CPR (personnummer) is a personal registration number, which you will also need to apply for, and it is important to get a tax card (skattekort).

Casual Work

There should be many opportunities for work in hotels, restaurants, and pubs etc. in Copenhagen and other main cities. The best openings are often found by asking around in person, but you will likely need some knowledge of Danish to communicate with employers as well as customers when you find work. If your Danish leaves much to be desired and you want a job with less customer interaction, it is worth trying newsagents for work as omdeler, delivery people. Unlike in the UK, newspapers are delivered at night in Denmark, so bear this in mind if you consider this type of work.


One of the main British camping agencies operating in Denmark is Eurocamp. Most jobs can be found during the peak tourist times in the summer. Eurocamp arranges work for couriers on Danish as well as other European campsites. It is preferred that you can speak another European language well because the job involves welcoming and interacting with a range of visiting nationalities. Employees must be over 18, and can anticipate earning approximately �95 per week.

Au Pairing

Generally, au pairs in Europe can expect to earn about �40 per week, receive free meals and accommodation, and to have the chance to attend language courses. A number of au pair agencies operate throughout Europe, or have associated agencies abroad that can help you find au pairing vacancies, try Childcare International and Avalon Au Pairs. Au pairs are expected to look after the children as well as performing basic domestic tasks such as cleaning. Placements range in length and you are often required to stay for a year, but Childcare International can offer some two to six month stays. To become an au pair in Europe you must be aged between 18 and 27.

Agricultural Work

Denmark has a large agricultural industry and so jobs should be fairly easy to come by, and are best found by asking in person. The main fruit harvests (tomatoes, apples, cherries, and strawberries) are between July and September, try the region of Faaborg for opportunities. Farmers often provide campsites for worker accommodation, and you can expect to earn about Kr5 (approx. 47p) per kilo of fruit picked. Needless to say therefore, to earn a decent amount of money from this type of work you should expect to work long hours and labour to be strenuous. Alternatively, you could try work in the Svanholm community situated near Skibby on the isle of Sealand. Svanholm hosts adults and children, and work on their organic farms for up to 40 hours per week will earn you food and accommodation.

Volunteering with Concordia

Volunteers work in groups with children and communities in a number of countries throughout the world. Projects last for up to three weeks, in the summer months. All volunteers are supplied with food and accommodation and are required to pay a fee of �75 to register with Concordia.

Volunteering with Tearfund

Tearfund are a Christian organisation whose volunteers work on short term schemes in different countries in youth camps assisting children, or practical community projects such as building and painting. The projects usually last for up to six weeks in the summer. Volunteers are expected to fund their own travel and other expenses, which can amount to over �1000. Applicants must be over 18 and evangelical Christians.

Useful Links